OUT OF THE DARK by N R Walker
3* Some interesting aspects to it, but way more of the crying and emoting that book 2 was full of. Tbf, it's kind of understandable why, but this required a huge amount of suspension of disbelief. But, it has kittens in it, which are sort of a redemption.
There's, and there's not really, a lot happening here. Salem and Aurin are a couple, with Aurin fretting over the extent of Salem's injuries, and them having travelled deep into Cern's mountain to heal. That aspect was quite interesting, with explanations of who and what Cern is, who Fyn is, and what really goes on in the woods. There's partying, rejoicing, a rebirth ceremony and there's honey mead and lots of sex, thankfully not on screen, as the previous books had far too much of it. There's far too much mushy, lovey dovey stuff, and it's as if love's young dream has just descended on them. There's a lot of pronouncements, too. There's also a definite feel of one masculine character in this pairing (though not an alpha) and one who's far less masculine, so I wasn't surprised by how that played into the tale. Sigh.
And then the book descends into 'WTF am I reading?' and everything accelerates and Kellen makes a diagnosis and then there are 6. The 4 additional characters weren't believable. Cutesy and OTT, yes, with everyone besotted. I mean, that many blokes mooning over cuteness? Serious suspension of disbelief was needed at this point.
Not sure I'll read book 4 unless it's in KU and I've still got free KU, but an expected someone becomes a lead and a local. He, at this point, begins to sound like one of Barbara Elsborg's tortured PNR leads that I love, so I might take a chance on it, though until now, he's been kinda boring because of the holding back on detail.
Comments
Post a Comment