DEAD MAN'S GRAVE by Neil Lancaster
5* Grabs your attention and doesn't let go. I just devoured book 1 and I've grabbed the rest of the series.
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of book 7, which turned out to be another 5* read, though I nearly DNF'd it over the confusing Scottish dialogue. It was fine reading it as a standalone, but even better reading this one to clue me in about the characters and series.
This one picks you up and doesn't let go, not even at the end. The tale has danger, disbelief, shocking scenes, performative police politics and corruption that actually feel quite believable, despite my initial disbelief. I live between 2 of the London areas featured in the teen gang attack, and yes, I could see that happening. Justice was satisfyingly served, possibly skipped a little because of the bigger picture - thank goodness for cops wearing bodycams.
The underlying story is chilling and believable despite my initial disbelief. County lines. Gangsters. Gangs. Threats and damn good instincts and policing by DS Mackie and his sidekick Janie. There were good glimpses into Mackie and what led him to leave Scotland and what brought him back. The tale ends incredibly satisfyingly, but will the aims of the newly formed team with Mackie at its core be achieved, or is police corruption too deeply ingrained, IRL or in the tale?
Comments
Post a Comment